Monday, March 12, 2007

When Mama is Sick


I was sick yesterday. I am allergic to synthetic fragrances. Imagine how many are out there in hair products, laundry products, lotions, soaps, perfumes, deodorants, cleaning products, air fresheners, candles, etc... Sundays are pretty hard since I go to church in the morning and most people bathe and apply their scented products in the morning. After church I felt the need to relax so I took a long drive up 101 to Petaluma and browsed in a shop or two before heading south to Sausalito and doing the same.

By the time I got home, I had a horrendous headache caused by some kind of sinus inflammatory reaction and felt like I'd been socked in the eye if I touched the area. I tried eating and taking some medication and watching a DVD, but it worsened and I started going into shock. I started shaking like crazy and shivering with cold then raced to the bathroom and vomited. There went my medication, down the toilet. I got into a hot bath and fell asleep for a few minutes then forced myself to get up and feed my cats before falling into bed.

I kept thinking, "How would I be able to care for Apple if I'm sick like this?" Then came the thought, "That's what friends are for."

All I need to do is remember that I have a great support network of friends and a my church family is always ready to help. All it takes is one phone call and someone will be over to help, no matter what. I am not alone. As part of deciding to adopt, I asked my friends and neighbors if they's be willing to help me and they all said yes. Some even volunteered before I asked.

I'm grateful to my friends for the love and support they've shown me, especially now as I prepare to become a mom.

1 comment:

kaleidoscope experience said...

congratulations on your baby --

I too suffer from synthetic/perfume I have been eating coconut oil check for Bruce Fife -- its interesting material and it works and works on cold sores too -- its a powerful natural antibiotic

Best to you we just became grandparents and that was exciting --

isobel kaleidoscope-experience.blogspot