Friday, July 20, 2007

Bye-Bye Plane


I'm sure you've heard about it by now, the mom and baby who were kicked off the plane after the mom refused the flight attendant's command to drug the baby with Benadryl. If you've not heard of it, Google "bye bye plane" and it'll come right up. I hope that flight attendant gets fired and the airline made to pay up big time.

I've read a lot of adoption blogs and I'm still horrified at the number of parents that do drug their little ones with Benadryl to put them to sleep, not to relieve them of cold/allergy symptoms. As a daycare provider and someone who has travelled internationally many, many times with families with small children, I do know what kids can be like on a plane for hours and hours. Drugging them is NOT the answer.

Airplane air is already super dry and when Benadryl is added on top of it, you are seriously risking the well-being of the baby, drying out the body further because it does more than dry out the breathing passages, it effects all body fluid levels. I implore anyone reading this to only use medications as directed for illness and not for convenience.

No comments: