Monday, September 17, 2007

Five Months LID & Update




This post is a day or two late because I was super busy and not feeling well on top of it.

I celebrated my 5 months LID day by having a class at my agency on Parenty Strategies and it was VERY good. I love the classes at my agency because they abound with common sense and practicality. As a person with a lot of experience with babies and children, I don't have a lot of patience with fads in child rearing.

Even though I wasn't feeling well, I still went out to lunch and to the baby shops, but left my favorite one, Bellini, after just a short time, sat and rested in my car, the drove home. I rested today and feel almost normal now.

Thank you for your comments on my last post about my cat, Max. I completely understand about having PTSD, WZgirl, my sympathies to you for whatever you went through, too.

Max appears to have stabilized and seems comfortable, though I wish his appetite was better. He rests a lot now, a side effect to all the medications, but he's alert and talks to me even if it's a kitty curse word, and he was fiesty when I did his sub-q fluids. The day after going to the emergency appointment, the emergency vet called me because the cardiologist got back to him and suggested 1/4 of a pill twice a day to help Max get more oxygen and it worked wonderfully well. He also suggested increasing the thyroid pill since Max is responding favorably, so I did that, too. Max will have an appointment with a new internist when she returns from vacation and I'll have another blood test done. The thing I'm interested in is seeing if his anemia is worse. If so, something will have to be done. There are three choices, transfusion with real cat blood, a shot intended for humans that stimulates the bones to make red blood cells, and something synthetic that is transfused into the blood that carries oxygen and works like red blood cells. I should also mention that even though it's not good, Max has a true Valentine-shaped heart! I always have called him my Sweety Boy.

On Friday, I attended a family funeral. Even though it was a sad occasion, I loved being with all my Hawaiian relatives. My family took it seriously when God said to be fruitful and multiply. My grandmother's sister married at 14 and had 8 babies by the time she was 24. One of those 8 also had 8 kids. One of those 8 has little boy/girl twins, about 1 1/2 years old. They were soooooo cute, both sucking their thumbs and playing with their piko (belly button) with their other hand.

I conducted the hymns so I was up on the stand looking down. I was thinking about this huge loving family that I'll bring Apple into. It was all I could do not to tell everyone about the adoption. Hawaiians love children. I can imagine her running around at a family gathering being spoiled by the older girl cousins and how the uncles will gently play and tickle and hug her. I loved watching everyone's expression of tenderness, joy and love when the kids passed by. The gentleness always touches me since I see so many Western dads trying to be macho, or even when they are being tender, it lacks the utter gentleness I noticed. Even though it's 2am Monday morning as I type this, I still feel enveloped in the aloha of last Friday. It's such a wonderful feeling.

No comments: