Sunday, February 17, 2008

Special Families, Special Faith


I few hours ago, I followed a few links from adoption blogs and ended up learning about something called Trisomy 18. It's a genetic disorder that causes a baby to be born unable to survive outside the womb, at all, for minutes, hours, days, or, in the most mild form, perhaps 20 years. I found these blog links on this blog about a mom who has Cystic Fibrosis and while preparing for a lung transplant, found out she was pregnant. She's delivered her baby prematurely and is now fighting to be well enough to get on the transplant list so she can live to raise her daughter. Please remember this family in your prayers.

A beautiful video of Eliot's short life can be seen by clicking on his name. And to get to know Poppy Joy's family, who are just finishing their paper chase, click here.

Since the loss of my TuTu and caring for her here at home is still so fresh and having had the privilege of being with one of my friends during the birth of her stillborn daughter at full term, and also having had the experience of other friends caring for their baby at home until her death after being born profoundly brain damaged due to lack of oxygen in the womb when the placenta abrupted, as I read each of these blogs, I felt tremendous love for these families and for their little babies with Trisomy 18. I can appreciate so fully the blessing of the short lives of each of these little babies born with Trisomy 18 and the joy they were to their families and feel so near to them. It enhances the feelings I have for the miracle of my adoption process and for how children are brought into our lives.

I love this quote from Poppy Joy's blog: "Do not doubt in the darkness what God has shown you in the light."

No comments: