Monday, March 17, 2008

Summer Nationals Here I Come!


I'm in the red jacket.

I am sore in places I forgot I had, but I qualified to compete in USFA 2008 Summer National Championships which will be held in San Jose, CA in July this summer!

I had to fight, fight, fight, but I secured a spot in Div III which is the lowest division. I don't mind. I competed DIV II & III two years ago and competed for Div II yesterday, also, but I was too out of shape and couldn't pull it off. I'm just glad to have qualified at all, because I have only sparred about three times since last December due to all the events surrounding my grandmother's passing and my grieving and catching up on work, etc... Only the top 3 competitors of the 11 competing yesterday got to qualify and I placed 2nd.

So, today I'm limping, nursing bruises (fencers get significant bruises on their non-weapon arm), and sore muscles, even my rib muscles, but I'm super happy. Participating in this year's Nationals was one of my adoption plan goals, sort of my final fling before motherhood. I live about 40 miles from San Jose so I wouldn't have had to spend money to travel to the competition. The best thing about my fencing future is that I will be turning 40 at the end of this year and that means I'll be in the Veteran's Division. To qualify for Nationals in Vets, you just have to show up and fence at the qualifier and you're in, regardless of where you place. This is great if you're a mom because you only have to stay in shape and train hard for half the season instead of the whole year. I don't know what my fencing future holds once Apple is home, I'll just wait and see and enjoy myself in the meantime.


Yep, we're kissing our medals!


Here it is, the front and the back.


Messing around by attacking Capoferro, a fencing master in the city of Siena, Italy who published a rapier fencing manual in Italian in 1610. In the movie The Princess Bride by William Goldman, Inigo Montoya and The Man in Black duel atop the Cliffs of Insanity where they mention various fencing techniques they have studied, including those of Capoferro.


3 comments:

wzgirl said...

Congrats, Kimi! This is terrific - to meet a goal like this must make your heart sing. You go girl! xo

Catherine said...

Congrats! What a great accomplishment! All the best in San Jose in July.

Rick said...

Hi Kimi -
Congratulations on qualifying for Nationals again. I you are ever interested in a older and slower sparring partner.... I might be able to fit that bill :)

I might have to make the trip down to SJ to cheer you on!

Rick -)------------