Wednesday, April 16, 2008

1Year LID Fashion Show



For your viewing pleasure today, we present a Zu*tano knock-off I made using a pattern I drafted. The fabric is a 100% buttery soft cotton in an all over print of cheerful jungle animals. This dress will go with the pair of green or white Carter's pants I bought back in January. The pants can be viewed here.




Unlike Zu*tano, I gave the neck of this dress a more professional finish using a self-fabric binding finished with my new cover stitch machine, a Janome CoverPro 900. This effect can be simulated by using a twin needle on a regular sewing machine, which is what I've always done until now. I straddled the binding seam with the needles which gave it a lighter, more delicate, look than if I'd sewn with both needles on the binding. I prefer this type of finish on the neck because it's easy, holds the curve of the neck well and is professional.




If you haven't realized it by now, all the Easter dresses are on sale! I picked this one up at The Children's Place for 50% off. It's pink pique with embroidered daisies, fully lined, and comes with a matching diaper cover. This pretty dress features two large inverted pleats in the front with bows. The hat was a separate coordinate. I teamed this dress set with a white cotton shrug from the same company. The dress is size 12m (the largest it came in) and the shrug is size 24m because the sleeves are rauched and can be pulled up over 12m sized arms. This way the shrug can be used for several months with a variety of Apple's sleeveless dresses.



Here is the dress without the shrug which better shows the bows and pleats.

1 comment:

FHL said...

Wow, you are an amazing seamstress! Love the dress from Children's Place as well. (My son is a tall string bean and I've started purchasing almost all of his pants there- they're the only store who's clothes ALWAYS fit him well.)

Hope you're having a great weekend!