Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Blast From My Past


After watching the video of the rhythmic gymnastics I decided to post the only poor pictures I have of me doing gymnstics. I pulled out my 1986 album and decided to share a few other pictures as well. I don't remember if I mentioned it in any other post, but I lived in Okinawa, Japan for three years, 1983 - 1986. It's a beautiful island nicknamed the Hawaii of Japan. I never realized until now just how close it is to China. I've actually been swimming in the East China Sea a ton of times!

These pictures were taken with cheap cameras so the quality is very low. I also scanned them without taking them out of the album so that I wouldn't crinkle the plastic. It's amazing what Photoshop did for the gymnastic photos, though. They are very over-exposed and yellow in real life. They all appear larger if you click on them.


Practicing at the Fieldhouse on the military base.





Scuba diving off the southern tip of Okinawa at Suicide Cliffs.
See the clown fish near the anenome?


I lived near a park where this slide was built. It's part of the hillside.
Look at the size of the people on the steps to get an idea of its size.


I sometimes think that on my way to China to pick up my daughter I should stop for two days in Okinawa and see everything again. I have been back twice, but not since 1989 and it had really changed. I'd love to see this slide again from an adult perspective, shop in my favorite shops for the baby things I'd imagined having, even in my teens and see where I used to live.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Cool! What an exciting life you've led and oh so many adventures!

I had the priviledge of snorkeling in the South China Sea when visiting the Philippines in the early 90's. Beautiful!!!