Saturday, May 3, 2008

Searching Every Face


Last night I went to see a couple of movies and as I went about buying tickets and getting into the theater, everywhere I looked, I was surrounded by more Asian people than any other ethnicity. This is actually quite common in my area.

What struck me this time, though, is how beautiful everyone was, not just the women, but also the men. I looked into each face I passed and wondered for the thousandth time, "Will my daughter resemble her?" or "Perhaps she'll look more like her."

When my daughter grows up, will she find Asian men more attractive than Caucasian men, or the other way around, or not have a preference, or prefer men, say, from India? I know that I've always thought darker men more handsome than fair men and think that people from India are among the most beautiful in the world.

There were so many young couples and a few teenages out on a Friday night. I asked myself, "At what age would I be comfortable dropping my daughter and her friend off at the movies and leaving?" Then I thought that perhaps, I'd not drop her off, but stay and allow her to sit away from me at the theater if she wished. I know I'm already very protective.

Referrals came in yesterday and already some pictures are posted on blogs. What must these families be feeling? What will I feel? There is so much to look forward to!

1 comment:

Lisa and Tate said...

I know just what you are talking about. I went thru a time where everywhere I looked I would see an Asian face (in SLC not as common as in you area) and wonder what Tate would look like. When I see caucasin kiddso now I think they are less cute than the Asian gals I know...(Eliza) even mentioned this to Tiffany last night. The future is full of excitement for sure.

Lisa