Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Piano Lessons


I began taking piano lessons this month. I took them for 18 months when I was 12 and 13 and then taught myself. I reached a point a few years ago when I relized I wanted to be a lot better so when I discovered a fellow fencer at my club is a concert pianist and teaches, I took advantage of the opportunity.

This is what I want to play and have begun working on...



...along with the most basic of scales. At the first lesson I discovered that I was never taught how to properly hold my hand and fingers and press the keys so I'm learning technique for the very first time. I knew I needed lessons for some part of piano because I couldn't draw the quality of sound from the instrument that I heard when good players played. It's cool actually to be a beginner in that area, but experienced at reading music so I'm catching on quickly and seeing and feeling the difference after only three lessons so far.

No comments: