Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cake Decorating



I made this cake for a girl's 10th birthday. It was decorated with a nod to health. The cake was made from a box mix and was one of two 8" rounds. I used a sifter to sprinkle powdered sugar on top and then pinched colored baby marshmallows between my thumb and index finger and snipped the edges with scissors. A friend of mine used this technique years ago on one of her kid's cakes and I remembered it.

I didn't want to use commercial frostings because they are corn syrup and hydrogenated oils and I didn't have time to mess with trying to get the right consistency of a homemade frosting. I did, however, mix powdered sugar and butter to make a little frosting to use and the "glue" to hold the flowers on.

The picture doesn't really do it justice. It's the prettiest and easiest cake I ever made and decorated.

No comments: