Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Downside of Ice Skating



This is what my knees look like constantly now! Clicking on the picture will give you a close-up. The great thing about getting to know the really good skaters is that they share their secrets. One of their secrets is that they have special, very thin knee pads that they wear and they don't show. A pair of these knee pads will be my next purchase!

Honestly, though, my hardest fall so far wasn't from trying anything spectacular. It was because my new skates came with blade guards and I forgot about them and stepped onto the ice. I fell so hard smack along my right side, bruised my hip and wrenched my shoulder because I fell with it behind me. I felt okay immediately, mildly sore the next day, extremely sore the third day and very much better on the fourth day. The worst part was that I didn't know what made me fall so I tried to get back up and slipped again. Mentally, I started getting disoriented and wonder if that feeling is what old people feel like. I eventually looked down and saw my guards and pulled them off at the same time the ice patrol came to see if I was okay. I told him about the guards and he said that I wasn't the first one to do it. I swore it'd be my last but I nearly did it again last night! One of the male ice dancers said he's done it more than once...

No comments: