Sunday, August 30, 2009

An Asian Afternoon w/Recipe


I made this friedrice for the event.

Yesterday my agency had their annual Asian Afternoon potluck. All the families who've used Heartsent, no matter how long ago or how new, are welcome. It was at a nice community center and the place was full of happy families, some barely home with their little ones. After eating some very good food, we went into the auditorium and there was a presentation by girls from a local C4 Enrichment Organization, a Chinese dance organization. There was also a 12 year-old who sang two songs in Chinese and she was beautiful and professional. I was very inspired and looking forward to the time when I attend Asian Afternoon with Apple and she gets to sit on the floor in front of the stage and look up to these girls and, later, perhaps join them as a performer.

***Updated 8/31***

I've been asked to share my recipe, but it's one of those not written down. Here's my best at putting it in writing. I use a rice cooker so I don't know how to give rice amounts differently.

Friedrice Recipe:

Cooked Rice: I use 3 cups (the ones that come with the rice cooker) of uncooked rice in a rice cooker. I use brown rice now for good health, but white works just as well.

Olive oil, about 1-2 tbs.

1 cup or so of cooked meat*: I've used canned chicken, canned corned beef, but any cooked meat, fresh, frozen or canned will work.

1 cup cooked peas*

1 large carrot* or the equivalent - grated

1 can whole kernel corn*

1 small onion* - diced

2-3 eggs*

*Any of these ingredients can be substuted or omitted according to taste.

Salt, pepper, soy or shoyu sauce

In a pan over med-high heat, saute meat and onions in the olive oil. Push aside in the pan and add beaten eggs to empty side. Stir eggs only until scrambled. Add peas, carrot and corn. Add rice one scoop at a time, mixing well after each scoop. Hot rice works best because it's not as stuck together. Season to taste.

2 comments:

Stephe said...

Ooh, looks yummy! You should post the recipe/How to!

Stephe said...

Oooohh, thanks for posting that!! Stephe