Thursday, November 5, 2009

Cookbook Review: Deceptively Delicious


This is the book I mentioned at the beginning of my previous post; it's by Jessica Seinfeld. I do still take exception to the belief that veggies must be hidden and that getting children to eat well is difficult, but I did like the recipes because they bolster the nutritional value of simple foods.

Today I made pancakes with sweet potato puree mixed in (also about 1/8 left-over banana, which was a GREAT combo with the sweet potato). I had three sweet potatoes and sliced them into about 1" thick slices, put them into my rice cooker/steamer for 30 minutes and they came out perfect. After they cooled a bit, I pureed them in the VitaMixer to smooth, creamy perfection like I've never seen. For the 1 yr. olds lunch, I mixed cottage cheese into the sweet potatoes and added a pinch of cinnamon. He LOVED this!

For the older kids, I made the pancakes. It was going to be quiche, but I misread the cooking time and ran out of time since I promised them a trip to the park today, so it was pancakes with the sweet potatoes mixed in with the batter. They loved it and so did I.

The next recipe I'm going to try in the book is homemade macaroni and cheese with cauliflower and white bean puree mixed with the cheese. I used to buy soy macaroni but can't find them anymore and I don't like the carbohydrate content of this dish so adding the bean will give it a great low-fat protein boost.

I love having purees on hand since I need to feed babies every day, but couldn't use them up fast enough, even frozen, because I only feed the babies one meal a day, and only 5 days a week. Now that I have some ideas for using them in my regular cooking, I'm looking forward to having a puree field day!

1 comment:

foreverfamily said...

we love this cookbook because the recipies are so easy and puree is great for homemade baby food too. Our freezer is full of little baggies. Our kids love the beats! We don't think of it as hiding vegs but of making ordinary food more nutricious. We don't feel guilty eating multiple brownies anymore.