Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween 2009




Halloween was pretty fun this year. Of course it was my first in my new home, but what made it special was that my neighbor from my old apartment came over, and my best friend and her parents, and we all sat and watched the parade of children and handed out candy. The weather was perfect, but got a bit nippy towards the end. There was no way I was inviting kids in cumbersome costumes and masks to come up my stairs so I came down and it was great.

Henry chose his own costume this year.
Turns out it was a very popular one with a lot of little boys.

My neighbors told me to have 1000 pieces of candy but my budget stopped around 600. I was jumping on my trampoline in broad daylight, well, late afternoon/early evening, when I spied the first trick o' treater across the street and she spied me. I quickly went inside and changed and started getting the lights up. The little girl made it to the end of the street and across and to my house and when I came down with the candy she had huge eyes and said, "Trampoline!" instead of trick o' treat. It was too funny. So, I began handing out the candy just before 6pm and stopped at around 8:30pm or so. I went through all of my candy and a bag that my neighbor gave me. They were very sweet thinking I'd never done anything like this before. I had, but this was the most kids I'd seen, though I expected it since I now live on a main street.

My former neighbor and I decided that this would be our new tradition, that she'd come over to my place next year and we'd do this again. She mentioned that she'd also bring some candy next year. I'm happy to say that the kids who came almost always said "trick o' treat" and "thank you." Many kids and parents wish me a Happy Halloween, too. It's so much more enjoyable when I know the kids appreciate and enjoy the festivities.

No comments: