Sunday, January 24, 2010

I Do Not Love My House


This house has brought a whole new element of stress into my life that has pushed everything else aside, including Apple. I know this was the right thing to do in the long run, but the short run has been much harder than I'd hoped it would be.

I've been here long enough that people have finally stopped asking me if I love my house. I thought I was falling in love with it over the holidays, but it was only the euphoria of being well-rested!

The bold faced truth is that I do not love my house. The rooms are small and have too many doors and windows to make decorating possible. The closets are weird. The seller's agent had painters come in and just slap paint all over everything so all the hinges and hardware, even the doornobs, are covered with paint and they didn't scrape or anything before, during or after so there are paint "boogers" and drips all over. At a glance it all looks quite nice, but when I can't get the closet door open because it's got so much paint on it that it's swollen and stuck shut, I'm not happy. I want to kick it - a lot - and scream loudly.

I like my downstairs better. It's got wall space so furniture can go into the rooms well, but it's also my work space so I don't want to hang out down there.

My bathrooms are tiny. Very, very, very tiny. You can brush your teeth at the sink while sitting on the toilet kind of tiny. The tub is good-sized, though, thank heavens.

There is plenty of storage room. This is good.

The lighting is pretty bad. No wall switches in the bedrooms, only ceiling fans. Downstairs the light fixtures are hideous, in the kitchens, too, and bathrooms. I guess MOST of the light fixtures are awful.

I do love the basic layout and having the separatation of work and living space.

My yard is fantastic! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my yard. I can't wait until spring so I can enjoy it again. It doesn't look like I'll have the resources for doing my garden this year. Too bad, but I can live with it.

Plenty of money and a good contractor can make a big difference, especially with the closets and light fixtures. One day....

2 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Which is precisely why I have my house on the market and the ground will be broken on the house I am building next week. An old house has it's charms, but at the end of the day there are a lot of pains with an old house that I don't have time or $$ for anymore. Over the years that I have owned this house, I do one project per year and more if I can afford. Now, I'm just praying this one sells. I had and offer and the woman ended up withdrawing. It's been on the market since Jan. 5th and was under contract for 1.5 weeks of that. The new house will be done at the end of April, beginning of May, so I have a little bit of time. We'll see what happens!

Kim said...

My bathroom is super tiny too, but that is an old house thing I think.

I redid every wall and every inch of floor in this place. I think it is just something you have to do. Shoot, even on the big nice house, we were scraping trim from their "professional" paint job.

I can't image any house being worse than an apartment though, so you are still better off right? Focus on the good stuff, it will take time to fix all the boo boos from previous owners.