Sunday, February 14, 2010

I Did It Myself!


Sheer will power! That's what it took in the final moments.

I hung my over-the-range microwave BY MYSELF today! It took me from 1pm to 8:15pm and three trips to the home improvement store: one, for things I thought I needed, two, to exchange parts for what I ended up needing, and, three, to return one other unneeded item and get two needed drill bits.

In doing this, I reached a new milestone. I installed an outlet from a wire. This is the second time I've done any electrical work. It was not difficult, bit I did have a huge moment of panic when I lost my wire in the wall. The twine I'd tied to it in order to pull it to it's new location broke. Thank heavens for wire hangers because that's what I used to fish around and find it again.

A surprise was that the wood making up the back of the cabinet above the microwave extended down about 1 1/2 inches below the cabinet. I used a flathead screwdriver like a chisel and bashed a dashed line where I needed it to end and then took a crowbar and pried and splintered the wood away. It worked, but my cat Nini took exception to the noise and mess and peed on some things I had on the table.

The final moment of actually lifting the microwave into place was hard. It's pretty heavy and very difficult to hold it so far out away from myself over the stove. I called a neighbor, but he wasn't home, so I prayed and then mustered up every ounce of will power I possess and did it.

Before, old fan, pulled out like a drawer, no light.
It's not bad in the picture, but looked awful in real life.


Yucky old thing.


What a mess! Can't figure out why the doll is there!


Finally done!


No comments: