Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hooked on the Pressure Cooker


Do you really want a kitchen gadget that saves you time? If you said yes, then click over to QVC and order the pressure cooker right away!

Here are some of the things I've made this month, from scratch:

2 pound pot roast with veggies: 45 minutes
entire head of cauliflower: 2 minutes
large asperagus: 2 minutes
8 boiled potatoes: 6 minutes
macaroni & cheese: 6 minutes
2 huge artichokes: 15 minutes
1 whole chicken: 25 minutes
tortillini alfredo: 6 minutes
cheese cake: 25 minutes

The cooker does take about 5-8 minutes to reach the right pressure so add that to the cooking times.

I remember being about 10 and walking through the mall in Colorado with my family one day. In the center was a vendor selling a Bosch food processor. He was grating cheese, dicing, etc... My mom was captivated. He swore it would save her time. With five kids in the family, that was enticing. She did buy it. She did grate cheese in it - maybe twice. She even made bread dough in it - maybe twice. She did use it a few times to mix cookie dough, but when I grew up and had a place of my own, she gave it to me. I use it when I make bread and that's about it, but it's worth it just for that, to me.

You see, it wasn't good enough or fast enough that we could grate cheese in the food processor because we had to CLEAN it and that took longer than grating the cheese. Does this sound familiar?

Well this pressure cooker DOES save time AND it's SUPER, SUPER FAST and EASY to clean. If I had a choice between a pressure cooker and a microwave, I'd choose the pressure cooker.

At the same time that I purchased my pressure cooker from QVC, I also bought the book Slow Food Fast and the double pan insert.

No comments: