Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Cat Pooch Just Died



For about three weeks she's been declining rapidly due to kidney failure. Tonight at about 1:45am she died here at home. I didn't realize she was so close and I gave her a few bites of food and she made a little meow so I stopped and when I picked her up and carried her out of the kitchen, something happened that looked like a stroke. For several minutes she took a few breaths and then she finally passed away in my arms.

Yesterday, she was manic, pacing and meowing/howling loudly all day. She wanted to go outside and she's never been outside. I know she had the instinct to go off and die alone and away from home. I did let her out and she walked all the way across the yard directly to the spot where I'd planned to bury her. I was astonished! The above picture was taken yesterday; Pooch's first and only time in the backyard and outdoors.

I'll miss her a LOT! She was always a very happy cat and very, very loving. She's the one who chose to keep Velvet and Sam. Because she howled for them. But I will remember her most for how happy she was. At least she's with her sister, Darling, now.

It's already strange to think that I don't have 10 cats any more. I've had her for almost 17 years!

6 comments:

to sing and to dance (karen) said...

That is so difficult! But, at least she died in your arms. Our dog was 18 yrs old when she went. She went outside (inside dog), and out the back gate, never to be seen again. Sometimes they are in pain, and only stick around for us....that's how much they want to please us.
Very sorry for your loss.

Have you ever seen this poem?

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Kim said...

I'm sorry :(

Eliza2006 said...

Sorry to hear about your kitty.

Gille said...

I am so sorry to hear that!

bella said...

Oh Kim I am so sorry to hear this about Pooch. What a big loss for you and your cat family. Love the new picture of you both, its a treasure. bella

Chrissy said...

Oh Kimi, I'm so sorry. It's so hard to lose someone that has been such a big part of your life. I know you know she's happy but I know you will miss her too.