Sunday, March 28, 2010

Other Household Gadgets


So, again, at the top of my list is my pressure cooker. It has been the single most easy to use time saving gadget of all time. I've been using it about every three days.

For vacuming I love my Dyson. I also have a Kirby. The Dyson is an excellent vacume, but I don't like how the attachment hose sucks in on itself. I do like how easily accessible it is. I prefer the Kirby hose, but one must attach and unattach it for use. My Kirby also become a carpet shampooer and an air inflater. I can inflate all my kiddy toys with it. Since I have a two level house and 9 cats and a daycare business, I definitely love having a vacume for each level. I vacume almost every day.

For my hard floors I have a Shark floor steamer. This thing is great and really, really works! Since I have health issues with chemicals, I love using nothing but water (steam) to clean and sanitize the floor. I use this once a week.

I usually hand grate my cheese, but if I need to do a lot, I still prefer a simple Salad Shooter. I don't know if they still make them. I've had mine for years and years. The Salad Shooter grate carrots like a charm, too, and if you cook them grated, it's like gourmet juilienned carrots.

I can't say enough about my VitaMix blender. Between that and the pressure cooker, I made potato-cauliflower cheddar soup in 15 minutes. I have never bought a smoothie and when I had a regular blender I never made them, but now that I have fruit trees and get the large bags of frozen fruit and berries from Costco, I make them at least once or twice a week. I make a sorbet for my dessert several times a week. With daycare, I constantly make babyfood, too. I use the VitaMix almost every day, sometimes twice a day.

Which brings me to the Magic Bullet. Sometimes I need to make only one or two servings of babyfood and don't want to go upstairs (I have two kitchens, one downstairs and one upstairs) to use the VitaMixer so the Magic Bullet gets the job. I use this 2-3 times a week.

If it's a tiny babyfood job, like a banana, I use a manual babyfood mill.

The one gadget I see people buying frequently that I gladly gave away was a juicer. I did like the juice, but cleaning the juicer was such a hassle that I only made juice a few times. I also didn't like throwing away all the fiber.

No comments: