Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Dead Rat


Rats ate all my apricots last year. They also pooped all over my garage. I set a live-catch trap last summer and never caught one. Lately, I've not been in my garage and, therefore, haven't been checking the trap. Today I saw that the trap had been sprung and there was a rat in there and it was dead.

I felt terrible!

This trap captures them alive and the point is to release them in the woods. My little rat died a terrible death of dehydration and starvation. It was a very pretty rat, like a small chinchilla with a super, super long tail. It was not a sewer rat, but a Norwegian roof rat.

I will check my trap regularly from now on, but I left the "scent of death" in the trap when I reset it and that will probably deter all rats from entering my garage from now on.

4 comments:

to sing and to dance (Karen) said...

LOL all those cats and you have rats??? You really need to let those critters be cats once in a while!

K said...

LOL! My cats are in the house and the rat was in the garage. The garage is not attached to the house.

to sing and to dance (Karen) said...

That reminds me of when I was growing up. We had a tack room, detached of course, and I went in there once, and saw a mouse scurry by me. I ran into the house screaming. My dad came out with a bat to kill it, and when he turned over some horse bedding, he found about 10 suckling baby mice. He didn't have the heart to kill them.

to sing and to dance (Karen) said...

Our cat was outside and was playing "cat and mouse" with a really REALLY big mouse yesterday. He was chasing it around a small bush. It was as big as a rat, but with smooth fur and a thin tail like a mouse. My husband thought perhaps it was pregnant because it was so huge. UGH. Not sure what happened to it. We didn't end up with a gift of a haunch and entrails on our back door step.