Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Word About The WAIT


I've been waiting just over 37 months now to be matched to my child. That's 3 years and 6 weeks, actually. If I start counting time from the moment I first realized my daughter would be coming from China, then the entire wait has been 51 months, or, 4 years and 3 months long.

Honestly, it doesn't feel that long at all. Not at all. Really.

In retrospect, I loved doing the paperwork (not really, at the time I was VERY stressed because of the deadline for singles) and loved taking all the classes at my agency (for real). I loved meeting with my social worker and I can't wait for my update in a few months so she can see my new house for the first time.

What feels long to me is the amount of time it's taking me to get my daycare business to the level I need to financially secure myself in my new house. I'm still living on the edge, month-to-month. It's starting to change and I'm implementing new advertising methods, including a very expensive sign that will grace my front lawn as soon as it arrives from New York, and a website, but money matters are putting a strain on me that I would be happy to do without. (Please forget that I just dropped a hefty nickel at Gymboree, I taught a semi-private serger/sewing machine class yesterday that paid for it.)

Having more money will also solve another nagging problem: serious house projects that need a professional. After these are complete, I will be able to firmly settle in, once and for all, with everything in a proper place.

I mentioned in a previous post that I am aiming for a "smooth running machine" by the time Apple comes home and one of my favorite commenters chided me on that, but it's very true for me. I can handle all that can and will come up around Apple as long as my home and businesses are running smoothly. I define this as having everything neatly organized so no thought has to go into the daily maintenance of my routine.

Think about it... Do you have to remember where the turn signal lever is on your car or does your hand automatically go to it when you need it? When you bathe, do you wash yourself in the same pattern each time? Do you vacume in the same pattern each time? Most of us do. After so many times at a task, we automatically tend to find the most efficient way of doing things, or just a way we prefer and stick to.

When I first moved into my new house, I had to learn where all the electrical outlets were and where to plug in the vacume to reach the most floor. I had to devise a pattern of vacuming that was the fastest and most thorough. The same goes for cleaning everything else. Heck, the first few times I loaded the dishwasher, it took me longer that if I'd simply washed the dishes by hand. Happily, I'm very speedy at it now, but that's because I know where each item needs to go. Every time I load the dishwasher, I do it the same way and I don't have to give it much thought any more. I am so thankful to have a dishwasher now but at first it seemed more a hassle that just washing those blasted dishes myself!

Getting my other life routines down look much longer in this new house that I ever expected so the fact that I've not added Apple to the mix yet is a blessing.

If I had received my referral and gotten Apple during this last year, I would have done the very best I could and we would managed very well, but her room would not have gotten done, that's for sure!

No comments: