Sunday, July 11, 2010

More and More Rats


It's bad enough to see them at night, but yesterday when I went to prune the fig tree, I saw one in plain daylight entering my garage. It's now war! I guess I'm going to have to hurry up and cover all the holes into my garage with 25 gauge wire mesh and then hire Ec0Lab to set traps. I can see where they nest in the depressions of the fig tree. This has been going on for years and years so the colony is well-established. In the last week, I've SEEN four rats. I wonder how many there are that I don't see.

I spent three hours pruning the fig tree. Actually, there are two fig trees, a male and female, and both trunks are on the property line and my garage was built to accommodate them so I have to go into my neighbors yard to do the work. I also climbed on to of my garage. As I pruned, I talked, "Okay you rats, I'm cutting down your hiding place. You are now EXPOSED!"

1 comment:

Karen said...

I like animals just as much as the next guy. But there are certain animals I would kill and not feel too much remorse for. Wild rats, mice, ticks, fleas, cockroaches, ants, black widows, jumping spiders (if they end up inside my house). These are among the animals I would kill.
We don't use poisons, and have never hired a bug man to come spray our houses. I've also had many rodents as pets, including rats. However, wild rats and mice can carry diseases and are dirty. Ticks, fleas and cockroaches also do the same. Ants are a pest around my garden, and can destroy the vegetation. And finally, black widows and jumping spiders can hurt my family with their poisons.
We have an outside cat who sometimes leaves the entrails of a caught mouse or rat, on our back porch. But without a cat to do that, the rodents around your house have no predators as they would have in the 'wild'. You need to set traps that will kill them, or they will multiply and infest everything around them with disease.