Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Giving Up Extracurricular Activities


I wonder why it is that when people find out I'm adopting, especially now that I'm trying to adopt more than one child, one of the first things they say is, "Well, you won't be able to fence and do gymnastics and take Mandarin classes."

Did not one of those people consider that I'm doing those things to fill time and improve myself in preparation of becoming a mother? Did they not consider that I'm EAGER to spend my time with my child?

Why don't these people say things like:

Story time is precious.

Taking the children to the park in the evening after work is the highlight of my day.

Bath time is a riot of fun!

Watching your child sleep is magical.

I'm not even going to get into the people who go on about how bad tantrums can be and how little sleep parents get because, honestly, it seems par for the course and I welcome it because it's all part of parenting and I want to be a parent!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I think sometimes people mean well. Before we adopted Cadence, the SW at HS said two things, "Why China" and "You realize you will not be able to go out at night any longer, right?"
To the first comment, Scott responded very quickly, "Why China? Because that's where our daughter is, she just has no idea yet, that she has a family waiting for her" - BTW, she was EXACTLY one month old on the day we decided to adopt from China, so she was, in fact, in China waiting for us.
And to the second comment, we both just looked at each other and laughed a bit, then we both responded the same way, "We won't be able to go out at night as often...as when?" We rarely go out at night anyway.
The fact is, you probably won't be able to do the things you do now as often, but your life will be filled with other things you will want to do with your children.
And, yes, K....the magical moments, the "total belief" with big eyes, the cuddling, the bath times...all treasures. For me, these times are more wonderful than what you could even imagine.
I hope time speeds up a bit, so we can start being anxious and excited and scared and happy all at the same time!