Thursday, December 23, 2010

100 Good Wishes Quilt - Another One


Back in the beginning of my adoption process, mid 2007, I participated in a quilt square exchange and received about 50 squares with little "wishes," or inspiring notes, to go with each square. These are to be used to make a quilt for Apple. I plan to ask friends and family to contribute the rest when I'm closer to referral time.

Meanwhile, I realized I need to get started on one for Jie Jie. I'll repeat the same legend that I posted then:

There is a tradition in northern China called the "Bai Jia Bei." In Mandarin, it's 百家被, which literally means Quilt United by 100 Families. 家 is the character for both family and home. The following is a story of the origin of the Bai Jia Bei...

"The last Empress of the Qing dynasty was a mere concubine, until she had the good luck to birth the Emperor’s only son. When forced to leave her baby alone for a while, she conceived a plan to protect him from the senior wives and obligate the other powerful Manchu families to back his claim to the throne. "From the head of each of the highest one hundred families in the Empire, she required a bolt of the finest silk. From the silks she commanded the palace tailors to cut one hundred small pieces and from these make a robe for her child. Thus he belonged, by symbol, to one hundred strong and noble families, and under their shelter the gods would fear to harm him."

I would like to invite anyone who is interested, to participate in helping me create Jie Jie's quilt. She will probably be 2 1/2 to 7 years old. The square should be of cotton fabric and be cut to at least 8" x 8". It does NOT have to be prewashed if it's good quality quilter's cotton, but it should be if you aren't sure. This is to prevent shrinkage once it's sewn into the quilt. Then, make a "wish" to go with it, a little note, verse, poem, prayer, etc. with a piece of the fabric stuck to it so it can be identified in the quilt.

Please send it to my business address at:

New Conceptions
P.O. Box 2155
Alameda, CA 94501

If you'd like to receive a square and wish from me for your own child's quilt, please include a little note and your address and I'd be happy to send you one.

I see this quilt, not as a safeguard against my child's life, of course, but as support and a blessing for myself and her as we become a family.

No comments: