Sunday, January 16, 2011

Big Announcement at Church


For the past four years, there have only been a handful of people who I told about my adoption. I did this for several reasons:

1. I knew it would take a long time.
2. I didn't want certain people judging my decision.
3. It was the most special thing in the world to me and I didn't want to expose myself to the questions and comments of the well-meaning and not-so-well-meaning.

Today at church during Relief Society, sort of an all women's Sunday School class, it was announced that I was going to be a mom! Right before the meeting started, I got so nervous and felt like I was exposing my most vulnerable, sacred part of myself and I almost chickened out, but I knew it was the right time. Then, as I sat there through the other announcements first, I started crying. Those next to me who didn't know asked if I was okay and I nodded and smiled and those who knew gave me understanding, supportive looks. Then, the announcement was made!

It just so happened that today a Chinese woman was at church who lives between here and Beijing. She was one of the first I told, way back in the beginning. She was soooo happy for me and my daughter! She couldn't stop hugging me. She's said that she'll help me translate the rest of her file (I'm going to see if this is a service provided by my agency first). I hope she'll also help me with my care package and Chinese New Year's cards. I decided to put one together myself. I needed it to be more personalized then the services offered.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Everything is going so fast for you! Congrats again.
Chris (the guide in China) is very helpful in translating the papers if you want to wait that long. You will find that he is very knowledgable and helpful in all ways. It was extremely important to him that he showed us OUR daughter's city, and he talked about it with pride, as if it was HIS city. He then took us to her finding place (2 hours away) and walked my husband through the area with a video camera. And then when we expressed an interest in going back to the orphanage to meet her a-yi (the nannies who brought the children were not the main a-yis), he was also very helpful, and translated everything we wanted to say to them, and vise versa.
He's extremely intelligent, and wants to make sure you know everything you are willing to know about your daughter's home town, about China, and about her past.
Are you planning on taking a friend or family member with you when you travel? It's much easier if you do, because there are a lot of times you will be signing papers, etc.

Karen said...

Do you know if she was being sponsored by Half the Sky or Love without Boundaries? If she is sponsored by HTS, then she should also have a journal that did not come with the papers for adoption, but you will get the journal while you are in China. If you don't get it, ask for it...Also, we wished we would have asked the orphanage director if she was "left" with anything when she was abandoned. Unless you ask, they will not assume you are interested in any of it. She might not have been, but now we will never know.