Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Minor Surgery for Rose


Rose is my black and while cat who is 10 1/2 years old. I raised her from 1 week of age. She still sucks my finger at night.

I noticed a pimple-like bump on her ear about 2 weeks ago and it grew larger pretty fast. Today she had it removed and sent in for a biopsy. Once her ear was shaved, I noticed another little weird spot, but on the skin instead of under it. I didn't get a chance to ask my vet about it since her grandfather passed away and she's leaving town early in the morning. But, since she's also one of my daycare parents, I'll be seeing her first thing Monday morning. I have to admire her sewing skills. Rose's ear looks perfect where she removed the lump and she put in four tiny perfect stitches. The cartiledge is intact and the skin came together nicely. I don't think there will even be a noticable scar once her fur grows back.

If it turns out to be cancer, I am grateful that it's on her ear and she can live without an external ear, which is how she'll be living - worse case scenario.

On a side note, Rose's triglycerides (a type of fat in the blood) were in the 4000 range. Normal is in the low 100s. Cats, fortunately, aren't like people, otherwise she's be about to have clogged arteries and major heart disease, but it is a big mystery. Triglycerides are processed in the intestines and the pacrease has a job in it, but all the other levels that pertain to the pancreas are normal, as is her blood sugar level. She will be retested in about three weeks to see if there is any change. My vet said that her serum was thick, like tomato soup, and that when the platelets spun out, it looked like milk. Rose's blood was quite the show and tell of the entire office.

She's very comfortable tonight. She was very glad to see me when I picked her up and she showered me with love by rubbing all over me and flipping around.

1 comment:

B said...

Still waiting for that "most significant date". =)