Monday, April 18, 2011

Happy Days


I live for weekends now, time alone with my daughter. I finally got caught up on my sleep. It felt wonderful to sleep in and rise refreshed.

Saturday was mandatory house cleaning day. I still had laundry and suitcases out, though they've been completely unpacked since day 2 home. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm a licensed home daycare, I'd have let the house go a little longer and cleaned up in spurts, but it really had to get done. The down side is that my daughter had to amuse herself for long periods of time and this was hard on both of us. Later in the afternoon, I marshalled some helpers and this sped things up considerably so my daughter and I ended the day on a high note.

Sunday we did a dry run to church. We got there a few minutes after church ended. She saw my travel companion and was glad to see her. Jie Jie is fond of her, but I'm sure that will diminish as B becomes someone we see only on Sundays at church. I do feel good that I have a back up person that Jie Jie is familiar with - just in case.

I learned a good lesson: People will try to hug her and it happens so fast that I missed stopping it the first time. Unfortunately, it was a man and not one I care for. I asked him not to, but he almost had his arms around her by then. I didn't realize people would do this. Jie Jie walked away and wouldn't come back because the guy was still right there and when I told him he scared her, he didn't get it and actually denied it. I wish she'd have thrown a huge screaming and flailing fit to make her point. At least I got her point and went over to her - alone - and she was okay with me. From then on if we passed that guy in the hall, she covered her face with her arm and leaned into me. When we go to church next week for real, I'm probably going to put a little sign on her that says, "Look, but don't touch," or something like that.

I was really offended. I mean, even before petting a dog I ask permission from the owner and here is this guy, big suited up American guy in a church (remember how big churches seem to kids) coming right at her. Anyway, lesson learned!

About Food:
My daughter loves to eat and will try anything and let me know if she likes it or not.

She shares food easily and doesn't hoard at all.

She's clear about when she's full, and will stop eating even if there is still food in her bowl.

She prefers noodles to rice, loves veggies, but her favorite is meat. She's a real carnivore! I've learned her word for meat.

Her PoPo cooked, what I think is fish, for her and she loved it.

She eats oatmeal, made from scratch, not a packet, cooked with milk and dried cranberries.

She likes sunflower nut butter and jelly sandwiches.

At Costco, she like the samples they had of smoked salmon, ham, scalloped potatoes, chips, jelly beans, chocolate covered peanuts, and sausage.

I made beef stew tonight, with rice, and she loved it.

She didn't like bananas in China but she does here. She loves watermelon, but I was told that her favorite fruit is a pear. I've given her one and she did love it.

About Sleep:
She's a great sleeper. We've had only one meltdown since being home and it was at bedtime. I've put a twin bed up against my double bed for her. I tuck her in and lay next to her and look at her and wind up a musical doll (only once, and she knows it but asks for it again anyway, and I say no or bedtime gets prolonged and we risk a meltdown). She gets self-conscious being looked at and turns away and is asleep within a minute or two. Tonight, she had the doll and a fake fish tank, the kind you plug in and the mural of the fish go around and around. I was able to leave the room while she was still awake and she was fine. She can hear me in the next room.

Clothes sizes:
Each brand and style is different, but I'll try anyway:

Size 4 shirts in all the brands I've tried so far and some fives if the sleeves are rolled up.

Size 4 leggings.
Size 3 pants, expecially Gymboree and Old Navy.

Size 4 dresses and coats.

Size 8 (24-25) shoes have a nice amount of growing room.

Toys:

She loves her baby doll and has named her Bao Bao.

She likes a memory board game someone gave her that is wood with circles that fit into round places.

Plastic snap-together beads from the baby toy section are a big hit.

Her stuffed pandas. She's got three and one is mechanical.

The scooter is still a favorite.

Cats:
She's great with the cats. At first she was a bit scared, but now she picks them up and even pets ones she sees on the street that allow it.


Off to the park with Bao Bao.
She made it all the way there, but I strolled her back.






Look closely and you will see that she is helping her doll play the keys.


Now she is playing to her doll.
She's got such a tender look on her face. I can see already that she'll make a great mother herself some day.

Zonked out with Rose to watch over her.


The black shoes are the ones she was wearing when I first got her. The white shoes are the best-fitting pair I found for her and they still have plenty of growing room.


7 comments:

Karen said...

When we were in China, we were told by Chris, when our baby/child cried, to say "Bao Bao"....and loosely translated, in Mandarin it means, "poor baby!"

Chrissy said...

Love Henry in the carrier!

K said...

Bao Bao is an endearment, like, "My poor baby, why are you crying," or, "My darling baby, it's okay."

foreverfamily said...

we had an infant to transition at church so just wearing him all the time kept us in control of situations. also, for visiting family we wrote a letter explaining how we would be doing things and that they needed to ask to hold/feed/change him. I think talking to rs pres or bishop is appropriate for getting the word out about how to treat you and your daughter--in a non-offensive way for all involved. I think over the pulpit is appropriate or in RS: intro to you two, stand and everyone can wave and say hi, and then bishop explain this is a transition time for you two and to respect that by ... thank you for support and welcome into ward, etc. People are well meaning but they don't truly understand the trauma that is there.

China Dreams said...

She is just a natural caregiver, isn't she? And it's great that she'll try any food.

Ruby

K said...

I just found out that Bao Bao is also the Chinese equivalent to dolly, as in a little girl's doll.

Chris said...

Looks to me like you will have another adoption someday-a littler one, for your darling to mother along with you!
SOrry about the episode at church, people really don'tget it about our adopted kids!!

Have a blessed weekend