Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!


What a milestone! My first Mother's Day as a mother! Honestly though, I don't think anything can touch the day my daughter's file was locked for me or the day I adopted her. The way I feel now, every day is Mother's Day, a celebration that is ongoing in this house.

The celebration actually began Dec. 19, 2010 when I purchased a ticket to an upcoming Yanni concert taking place in the historic Warfield Theater in San Francisco on May 7, 2011. When I clicked "purchase" I had a funny feeling I'd not see the concert. When my daughter's file was locked for me on Dec. 27, 2010, I figured my feeling had been accurate and that I'd be in China on the concert date.

You've all read how things turned out and when they happened so I'll skip to yesterday. My daughter and I attended the concert together and she liked it a lot and lasted through the entire show! We had great seats and she could stand up if she wanted to or sit on my lap. The venue was perfect for a first concert, not too big like an arena, but still awesome. I prepared Jie Jie well beginning four days in advance and I was prepared to leave the concert if she showed any sign that it was necessary to do so. At the end, when I was watching people leave, I discovered that Jie Jie wasn't even the youngest child there. I saw three other kids who were younger.

Today, my little island city had a small arts and crafts fair and I took Jie Jie there after our 20 minutes of church (still taking church slow). There was a huge inflated slide that she loved and she went into the animal petting area where there were goats, chickens, pigs and rabbits. I was amused that she'd pet a huge goat but is still afraid of dogs. We shared a funnel cake with bananas, chocolate and whipped cream on top. I'd always wanted to get one, but it seemed too gluttenous for one person (they are huge) and sharing one turned out to be just perfect. Jie Jie had a great time.

I was given flowers and a card yesterday to celebrate my first Mother's Day as a mother from the friend who accompanied me to China. She's a very thoughtful and caring woman.

My little girl is starting to speak English at warp speed. I'm amazed at how many English words are popping out of her mouth lately. It's very, very cute, too. What melts my heart the most, though, is that she is now calling me "mommeh," her version of mommy. I've referred to myself as mommy a few times and my daycare kids call their moms mommy. She's said "mommy" a few times perfectly, but I LOVE when she says it her way.

I, on the other hand, am adding more and more to my vocabulary in Chinese, I just don't know for sure if it's Mandarin or her local dialect. I've been checking on the online translators that speak, but I hope to get us hooked up with a good Mandarin teacher soon.

I'll post pictures and video soon... She still weighs and same and is the same height, but her hair is getting longer and she's toning up her muscles.

Last weekend my aunty came to visit and meet Jie Jie for the first time. Jie Jie managed to do her first seat drop and then stand right back up on the trampoline while my aunty and I were both watching. I quickly turned on the video camera because Jie Jie had been trying very hard to do this ever since I first introduced her to the trampoline.

1 comment:

The Straight's said...

Glad you enjoyed your first Mother's Day!! Isn't it the best job in the world :)