Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Last Sunday


I learned a very important thing about my daughter that I think applies to most institutionally raised children:

Without the experience and language of knowing what's going on and what comes next, there isn't any anticipation of the fun of going places like the zoo, hands-on museums, amusement parts, etc...

I had a feeling of this in China, but didn't quite know how to put it into words.

After church last Sunday, I took Jie Jie to the local children's hands-on discovery museum because a friend gave us a free pass. She liked the activities just fine once we got there, but didn't understand where we were going so she didn't have the fun anticipation of going there. Then, she didn't realize how it works, that one moves from exhibit to exhibit, trying a new thing each time. She didn't want to leave what she was doing and protested, then once she saw the next thing, she was fine, then repeated the protest when we stopped that one and moved on to the next one.

I think the frustration out-weighed the fun so I will hold off on such activities in the future for now. She has a very good time at the park and playing at home with her toys and that seems to be enough for her for now.

She's such a brave little girl and not shy, so I respect her limits. We've been home less than four weeks and her toys and the yard are still a fun exploratory adventure for her. She had a tea party with her little toy dishes and play food and set the little table, had her doll, Bao Bao, and me, then folded her arms and bowed her head to imitate saying grace before beginning the imaginary meal. It was super cute!

Tonight we went to my fencing club for the third time, but this time, I brought her toys and my foil and tried a little practice. There were some other kids there waiting for their parents and she liked that. She and I colored together for a little while, then I went out to the practice floor. I let her pitch some objects for me to try and hit and she really loved doing that and being a part of the workout. She was so good and really liked it. The club has a very zen-like feel to it and I could see that she felt good there.

She was so adorable today! I loved just looking at her and watching her play. I love falling in love with her more and more as I get to know her better.

4 comments:

China Dreams said...

Our son has been home for 2-1/2 years and I still see this frequently with him. There are also really simple things that he never knew, like Moms enjoying their children picking flowers for them (until he saw the joy on my daughter in-law's face when I helped my grandson pick some for her). There are a lot of other examples, but we've found that surprises are not pleasant for him because he's unaware of their significance and they don't necessarily always bring joy.

Ruby

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day on Sunday! My daughter came home from China in August with her daughter. I'm so happy for you both.
LCN

Jessica said...

I just got all caught up, Kimi! How marvelous!! I'm so excited for you and little Jie Jie. xoxox

Jessica said...

p.s. Happy Mother's Day!!