Monday, May 23, 2011

Meow Died Today



This "old geezer girl," as I called her, was 19 years old! In case that doesn't sound old, I got her when I was 22 years old.

She died peacefully at home, in my arms, while I brushed her cheek with her brush. It was her most favorite thing.

I knew that her death was near from before I went to China so I feel very fortunate to have had these past weeks with her. I prepared Jie Jie as best as possible, starting several weeks ago, and she's done just fine. She doesn't have an emotional attachment to this particular cat, but I knew she needed to understand that I'd be sad and shed tears and not to worry, that it's normal to miss loved ones when they are gone.

I also explained about burial and the spirit leaving the body and I think she'd already been taught about this. She seemed to understand quite readily and appeared to have had some kind of experience like this before. Perhaps in her SWI other children have passed away and she was taught something about it.

I put my Mother's Day flowers at the bottom of Meow's grave to honor her as the first to become a mother in our household 18 years ago. It seemed fitting. I still have her daughter, the only offspring Meow ever had.

7 comments:

China Dreams said...

Very sorry.

Ruby

foreverfamily said...

so sorry.

Noreen, Emily and Abbey's Journey for a Son and Little Brother said...

:(
.... so sorry, a family member...

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. There are just no words that can help but having been there so recently myself, I know how much it breaks your heart.

Sandra

Amy said...

so very sorry.

Mama Jama said...

Goodbye sweet Meow

Chrissy said...

Kimi, I am so sorry to hear about Meow. She will always be with you in your heart and the memories of a long happy life together.

Chrissy