Thursday, August 18, 2011

Forgot to Mention the Housekeeper


Yep, finally had to do it. Don't get me wrong. I've WANTED to hire a housekeeper. It was part of the Big Plan. This working single mama wasn't going to spend weekends doing housework while my child played all alone. But the budget does bring a does of reality to the best laid plans. I'm hording every cent until I figure out the insurance thing. But I really HAD to do it. All the hours I spend on the phone trying to sort the insurance stuff out and doing the bookeeping and taxes - finally - meant the house was horrible.

I had a great recommendation. The lady came, very motherly and sympathetic, did a great job, but started sneezing at the onset of vacuming and kept it up the whole time. She won't be coming back. She's allergic to cats. Remember, we have 8, no, 9 right now because I'm fostering a kitten.

What I'd really like is someone twice a week, two hours each time, to do the floors, bathroom, kitchen and litterboxes. Ideally, I'd like this person to make meals, too. After cooking for the daycare, there isn't time to cook for my daughter and I Yesterday, one parent came 25 minutes late - no phone call. It was so unusual, that I got worried. I had a 7pm apointment, so that 25 minutes ate up the time I'd have used to make dinner. I had it all planned out, too. This particular late parent has two kids enrolled with me, almost 3 and 12 months so I couldn't have cooked even if they'd called because my upstairs isn't set up for a 12 months old.

This brings up another point. I'm tired of my own cooking. I'm a good cook and I like to cook, but I like getting new recipes, fast and easy ones, and I've just not had time to browse for new recipes. If you have a favorite fast, healthy meal, please give me the recipe. I really need something new. Casseroles and one-dish meals are great, nothing fried. Things that can be frozen are good so I can make two at the same time and freeze one.

Ugh, 1:45am, time for bed!

6 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

A REALLY fast meal is can of kidney or black beans, can of diced tomatoes, a sprinkle of taco seasoning, a dash of sugar or honey and top with cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips and/or avocado. Freezes just fine too.

Anonymous said...

However will you homeschool and care for your daycare children too? If you can, hat's off to you! I just know I could never do it and give the attention due to both my paid job and my child's education.

K said...

I have an assistant. The daycare kids nap at least two hours a day, usually all at the same time. And, the daycare kids can participate in many of my daughter's lessons at her current level. With many assignments, once the lesson is explained, my daughter does the work on her own.

I'll admit it seemed daunting at first, but now that I've had some help getting her lessons together, it's going very well.

Anonymous said...

Ah, an assistant and coordinated naps will make a big difference. All the best as you get used to the new schedule.

China Dreams said...

My grown daughter gave me this recipe for Mexican goulash:

Brown 1 lb. hamburger; drain
Add 2 c. water and 1 c. egg noodles and a 16 oz. jar of mild salsa
Cook until bubbly/noodles are correct consistency
Add 1/2 a container (maybe it's 6 or 8 ozs.) of sour cream.
Cook until bubbly; remove from heat and serve

This is a very quick meal without a lot of minding and only one dish/pan is used, plus there is no cutting/peeling/washing involved.

Ruby

Donna said...

This dream housekeeper seems WAY more useful than a husband LOL