Friday, September 9, 2011

5 Months Ago Today...


...right at this time of night, I was walking in the front door of my home with my daughter for the very first time. It's hard to believe it's only been five months. It feels like she's always been with me.

This afternoon, my social worker came over for our first post-placement visit. I didn't know what to expect, but couldn't wait to show her my daughter. Sure enough, my social worker was captivated by Jie Jie. I didn't expect her to be so in awe of my daughter's happiness and progress. She also didn't fail to notice my own contentment. Honestly, my social worker was completely taken with Jie Jie and continuously made positive comments about her, like how happy she is, how well her English is coming along, how bright she is, how wonderful it is that Jie Jie talks so much about her life in China (another bit of her history started coming up as she saw the pictures of her SWI we were showing the social worker), etc.... Apparently, Jie Jie is doing better than average by quite a long shot. This certainly made me feel like a great mother and I will take credit where credit is due. But, I also give credit where it's due, and once again am thankful for God's blessings and those who loved and cared for my daughter from her birth parents to those in her SWI, to those at my agency who prepared me and to my wonderful daughter herself, who is so endlessly brave and strong and loving.

Today was one of those days when I counted my blessings and fell even more in love with my daughter.

No comments: