Sunday, September 4, 2011

Being A Working Mom


I am very fortunate that I can work at home. It is still WORK. I don't think a lot of people really understand this. I am glad at the end of the day when my work day is finished, like just about everyone else is who works. My daughter is with me, in our home. This has been great. It has also been hard because she has to share me with a lot of other children during the day. She understands it now, most of the time, and we are truly doing well, but there are times when she wants me or really needs me and she gets less of me because I have to get lunch, change a diaper, break up a disagreement, patch a skinned knee, etc....

I was never meant to be a single working mom. I'm the married-stay-at-home-mom type. There is so much more I could do for my daughter on so many fronts if I had a husband to support me so I didn't have to work to earn my living:

more therapy for Jie Jie's feet, which includes a TON of things
swimming and/or hippotherapy
a cleaner home
a weeded yard
more story book time
more coloring together time
singing groups
Chinese language school for both of us
tumbling class
more interaction with kids her own age
more one on one time with a less tired mom
more road trips to visit relatives

Some of these things seem like luxuries, like singing groups and tumbling classes, but she NEEDS these things to help her educationally and physically. She still can't sing a single song all the way through. So, I introduced poetry this week with hand motions and/or sign language, to help her. She LOVES to sing and makes up her own songs all the time. They are mostly in English now and make as little sense as her Chinese songs did, but I crave the day when she can sing one entire little song all the way through.

1 comment:

Eliza2006 said...

You will settle in even more as the months/years go on. I used to be really bothered that I couldn't stay at home, but now I wouldn't have it any other way (Well, in a perfect world I would have a 2 income home with a husband and take Fridays off...while my kids were at school so I could clean/organize the house). I enjoy going to work and my kids enjoy going to school. We are definitely all settled and my kids are very happy. You are doing a great job, and your sweet little daughter will thrive regardless. Keep up the great work!