Thursday, October 20, 2011

2 Earthquakes Here Today


We are shaking today! This afternoon we had a 4.0 and tonight a 3.9 along a local fault line. The second one felt stronger to me, but it was because it lasted longer than the first one and I was upstairs in the house.

I was here during The Big One 20 years ago. Honestly, earthquakes do scare me, but there are disasters everywhere, which helps keep things in perspective. Being a mom has made it harder. My fear is that I won't be able to get to my daughter. Tonight I got to her almost before the shaking stopped and she was fast asleep. My cats really go berserk.

There is no theory that I know of as to whether or not several small to moderate earthquakes are going to relieve pressure underground and help prevent a bigger earthquake or if the opposite happens and pressure builds up until there is a big one.

I can only have faith that I'm as prepared as possible and maintain a level head when the earth shakes and the walls around me don't seem very secure after all.

No comments: