Sunday, November 27, 2011

Intro to Christmas



Real whiskers and all, this was a very nice Santa
and the pics were free as part of a promo!

Union Square, San Francisco (taken from Macy's)

I love the theme "A Million Reasons to Believe" since it certainly describes my faith in our Savior.




One day, a few weeks ago, as we were in my friend's store, the words, "Santa brings presents to all the good boys and girls in the world," crossed my lips. I immediately regretted them, and, thankfully, they were lost on Jie Jie. Santa didn't go to China and leave any presents for Jie Jie. She didn't have any toys in China, that she can remember or that I saw in her room when I visited her SWI. The store owner, single mother of two girls, now in college, overheard me and noticed the look on my face. We spoke a bit and she mentioned that they didn't do Santa in their house, except as a fun legendary figure, part of their German heritage. After some serious thought and reflections on my own beliefs concerning the commercialization of the holidays, I came to a decision that I feel very good about...

Santa isn't coming to our house. In fact, Santa, in our house, is going to be taught as the figure of history, folklore and legend that he is. I'm teaching Jie Jie that the three wise men brought Jesus presents when He was born because they loved Him and mama will bring her presents at Christmas time because it's a time when we remember the birth of Christ and show love toward each other in many ways. One of those ways is to give thoughtful gifts. She's only getting a few gifts but one is rather large. It's something she wants badly, but I also have an ulterior motive behind it since it will be a good teaching tool, too. I will also teach her about the beliefs of others so that she understands, or will as she learns, that most young American children are taught that Santa brings the presents if they have been good.

We also chose a card of our church's "giving tree" which has the info of a young child on it who lives in poverty nearby. We will shop together and talk about giving to the needy. As time goes on, and she becomes more aware of the ramifications of her past in China, I'm sure this will get a little more complicated, but for now, I want to set an example to her of charity with love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The food looks so good! Guess you have a lot of left overs to enjoy.
Love the pictures. So beautiful and happy.

Renate

Joannah said...

I'm going to do something similar in regards to Santa. As my faith has grown, I have become convicted that there are too many things that cloud the true meaning of Christmas. We can certainly enjoy all the fun Christmas has to offer, but Santa has to take a back seat to Jesus!

Carrie said...

What a good idea! We've been talking about this too! Unfortunately, Jesus gets over shadowed by Santa here in the US. We haven't officially decided what to tell our kids (they are 2.5 and 3.5 yo, and they don't seem to care yet), but we feel that Jesus should be first. I don't hate Santa, I just think he needs to take a back seat. I feel the same way about the Easter Bunny.