Sunday, February 12, 2012

Chinese New Year Celebrations


We had a fun-packed weekend full of Chinese New Year celebrations. It began on Saturday with the FCC (Families with Children from China) Between Two New Year's party. It was a great privilege to meet Amy Eldridge, Executive Director of Love Without Boundaries. I found Jie Jie on the LWB community blog and Amy and some of her team helped me get Jie Jie's file and prayed like crazy for us to be together as a family.

We also met Gao Zhansheng, Consul General of the People's Republic of China here in San Francisco. It was truly a great honor. This man was so sincere! He took Jie Jie onto his lap and melted. He said to me something like this, "I have a son. One son. I wish I also had a daughter." He asked me many questions, does she remember her Chinese language, what is her special need, and he kept saying how beautiful she is. You should have seen the way he held her. This man has a huge heart! I hope to have a picture soon...

After the FCC party, we drove back across the Bay, parked at the BART station and headed into San Franciso for the big Chinese New Year Parade. It was packed, but we ran into a friend who had found a good location. Jie Jie loved it and the lion dancers were so fun, coming right up to the kids. Finally, at the end, the big dragon came through. I know the pictures are that good, but the memories are priceless!

Amy Eldridge of Love Without Boundaries

Making crafts at the FCC party.



Chinese New Year Parade San Francisco





1 comment:

Chrissy said...

Soooo lucky to get to see the China Town parade! It's on our to-do list for when the girls are a bit older.