Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Last Original Kitty



My cat, Sunshine, died tonight. She was 18 1/2 years old. Sunshine was the last of my original kitties. I started with White and Meow. Sunshine was Meow's daughter. They are laid to rest about a foot from each other. Now my oldest is Rose, who is only 12 years old. She had some type of oral cancer and could no longer eat and was in pain, but was otherwise in perfect health.

My vet came over at 10pm, long after Jie Jie was sound asleep, and gently euthanized Sunshine while she lay curled up in my arms. It was a perfect passing for this kitty. The method used was not abrupt, but allowed a few minutes for Sunshine to relax and gently slip away. It felt like she said good-bye and thank you for the release. I just finished burying her under the new year's moon and beautiful stars, while Orion glistened brightly in the night sky and a pure breeze blew and the leaves rustled in the trees overhead and the scent of freshly turned up earth mingled with the freshness of the breeze. I love experiences like this where so many elements of nature come together, filling my senses, filling me with wonderment of God's creations and joy in such a moment of loss and sadness.

4 comments:

Karen said...

What a beautiful passing. We lost our dog a year ago, from Christmas. We had to take him in to euthenize him as well. The hardest part was the 24 hours prior, knowing that it was going to be the last time I spent 'this hour of the day/night with him'. But, it was a gentle passing and the actual time of releasing him was good.
Sorry for your loss. It's so sad that, by the time they truly become our old friends, they are ready to go, but they provide so much happiness and friendship to us in the meantime. Animals are so pure.

K said...

I agree, that last 24 hours is the hardest, trying to soak in every last moment. It never ceases to amaze me, the amount of pleasure my pets add to my life, and the household in general, not to mention how much my daughter loves them.

K said...

Thank you for your condolences!

Cristy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose a furry family member!