Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Very Last Document!


My dossier for Sissy is nearly complete. All I'm waiting on is my birth certificate. It's the golden document. It's cost a fortune! For those who don't quite understand why adoption, particularly internation adoption, is so expensive, let me give you a little peek:

Certified copy of birth certificate: $47.95

Certification/Apostille at Secretary of State (one day service vs. 14 day service): $20

Mailing fee to Secretary of State: $28
Mailing fee to Courier service from Sec. of State: $28
Mailing of supporting documents to courier: $18
Mailing fee of all docs back to me: $18

Fee for courier service: $65
Fee for State Department: $8
Fee for Chinese Embassy: $20

So, the golden birth certificate total comes to a whopping $252.95!!!

Now, I could have gone snail mail, but there would be no tracking numbers and I just don't have time to wait. I need to get my dossier in since I need to be in China and sign the adoption papers before Sissy turns 14. I've seen a lot of adoptions happen at the last minute, and each one was a marvelous miracle, and if I have to do that, I will, but I'd rather not cut it so fine if I don't have to do so.

All the rest of my documents are from California so they are being sent together in one mailing to each place they need to go, but just the final step alone is $225 for them.

So many more children would be adopted into loving homes if adoption cost less! My birth state does charge significantly less for the apostille for documents used in adoptions and I greatly appreciate that. What I really want to know is why the CIS visa application costs so much. Honestly, what do they do for over $800 to those documents? Why then, after paying all of that, plus a renewal or two, does it cost $404 for the actual visa stamp in the passport? Why should a US citizen pay that amount, after paying so much in taxes, to bring an adopted child home? Don't even get me started on homestudy fees... How hard can it be to write that up after all the documentation checks out? If it's really worth all that in work and effort, please enlighten me.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Well the good news for you, is that you KNOW the adoption tax credit will still be in place by the time she's adopted. That must be a relief. We still have no idea if, when we travel for number 2 and you travel for number 3, it will even be there.

FruitFish said...

Not looking forward to those costs when I finally get there.