Friday, April 6, 2012

Re-Adoption Today

Well, I did it without insulting the judge! I even took a picture! Yes, I still resent this step, but it's over and done with and I learned that it was unnecessary to have done it at this time. I thought it would be easier to get Jie Jie's U.S. passport with an English birth certificate, but here's what the judge said to me, "By the time she's in college, the birth certificate should arrive."

Oh, well, I'll used the adoption order we received today.

The judge was very kind and gentle so that put me at ease right away, I needed that since I'd spent 30 minutes trying to find a place to park then we waited an hour before it was our turn. I didn't realize it was a cattle call for all adoptions for the day, so I didn't have so much as a single snack, crayon or coloring book to amuse Jie Jie. She was a trouper, though.

Once in the judge's chambers, he sat us down and began by saying that he says certain things to all new parent and children. I gently said, "Even though I adopted her a year ago?" He then asked, "In China?" I said, "Yes."

Then he said that he also talks to children about their responsibilities and turned to Jie Jie and asked, "Do you clean up your room?"

She answered, "Yes." At which time I interjected the truth, "My daughter is very good at cleaning up her room. I don't even have to ask her. She does a GREAT job! She even started setting the table for dinner long ago with out being asked."

He was impressed and complimentary, asked Jie Jie if she'd like to sign the adoption order, which she did, and that's when I got my picture. It was a great moment for both of us because Jie Jie has been learning the write her entire name by memory this week and it's been rather difficult for her. She doesn't quite understand what her middle and last names are for so she hasn't taken them to heart or identified with them in any way other than that I have the same last name as she does and she likes that.

I also waffled on her name on the official form for the birth certificate, then caved and changed it back. I left her first name exactly as it is on the English version of her Chinese birth certificate. I'd been debating as to whether or not I should capitalize the first letter of the second character, but they did not so, in the end, I did not even though I did for about 15 minutes and had the clerk white out the old and put in the new, then white it out again and put it back to how I originally had it.

This trouble with names isn't because it's a Chinese name. I just have a very hard time with naming unless the name just jumps right into my mind right away, which it did with Sissy and with only four of the 13 cats I've owned over my lifetime.

We've been invited to a spectacular Easter event at the home of a local family who adopted a twelve year old from China only two months ago. I'm looking forward to Jie Jie having a wonderful time with kids her age and for the opportunity to observe the new child in her home environment.

I got a huge compliment the other day in the store. I was waiting in the return line and there were Easter books along the isle focusing on the Easter Bunny and getting gifts. I told Jie Jie that the real reason of Easter is to celebrate Jesus' gift to us and then explained in appropriate terms a little about that. Behind me in line was a Hispanice woman and her mother and the daughter had overheard me and translated for her mother, then she said what she did and how impressed she and her mother are that I'm teaching my daughter about Jesus and the true meaning of Easter.

1 comment:

Karen said...

The judges soak up these days! They are so used to seeing battles between parents and kids being torn apart, they love re-adoption days. I too was resentful, especially since I had to stand in line with a bunch of baby-mama's that I could tell were there to screw baby daddies over. But when we had our day, the judge was so sweet and kind, and I could tell times like that were a breath of fresh air for him.
Our BC didn't take too long at all...probably about 3-4 weeks, tops.