Monday, August 20, 2012

Discovering Creativity & Homeschooling


These doesn't seem to be much to Chinese gradeschool education. Reading texts, writing, English, and math. No reading of books that would be enjoyable to a child, no creative subjects, no geography. At home we are doing math, art, writing and some reading. The books at the local Asian library branch are in traditional characters, which Sissy cannot read. So, I had her look at the pictures and write her own story. It took two days! She'd never done any type of creative writing before. She is writing in Chinese so I can't read it, but I don't think it matters much right now. I picked the books in the library. It was too overwhelming for her. She didn't know where to begin or what to look for. I am thinking about signing them up with the local school district to take advantage of home education options, but I don't know what might be available yet, so I'm torn. You have to sign them up to have an interview. I'd rather have the interview first to gather enough information to make a decision.

Sissy had never seen playdoh before, so it was a new experience. She doesn't like to be messy, so it wasn't fun in that regard, but she liked making the things that she did.

She is good, but slow, at doing puzzles, but is improving rapidly.




No comments: