Saturday, September 29, 2012

Jie Jie


My poor little Jie Jie is going through a rough patch right now, but I am staying strong, knowing she needs this push to make the leap from little girl to bigger girl. While she's always progressed in all other areas, the one that she could never quite get was fitting in with her peers outside a controlled situation. Things like Sunday school are fine. Playing one on one is fine. But she cannot make friends at the park or in other social situations and will either gravitate to the 3-4 year olds or remain alone. She didn't have any same age peers at her orphanage and being homeschooled has kept her out of public school, and her physical limitations have kept her out of many group activities, along with my budget that has one more adoption to go. We all know what China travel does the ones income - it eats it all up!

So, having two older sisters has put Jie Jie into a situation that is new for her and badly needed. She is going to be just fine, but it's hard to watch sometimes. There are times when I know I cannot interfer and times when I have to tell her the bald truth, that she bothering her sisters by her behavior and they don't want to play with her, or they don't want to play the same games because she is playing little girl games and they are big girls.

My advice to her today was to watch them when she wasn't sure what she should do. Instead of distancing herself, or forcing herself on them, just watch them. Or, play with her toys like she used to do before they came along. Today she did a bit of both and she seemed much happier. As I mentioned in my Sissy post, today when Blossom took Jie Jie's hand, Jie Jie was over the moon with happiness. I made sure to let her know that I noticed, too, and celebrated this small victory with her.

She really is the most cute and charming thing around. Whoever she greets just lights up at her smile and exhuberance for life. There hasn't been one person she hasn't been able to easily charm here or in China. She is such a treasure!

No comments: