Saturday, October 27, 2012

Baking Cookies










We had a very good day today! It's been awhile, so we were all very happy, as you can see by my girls' smiles. Blossom even leaned on me and laid her head against me. She hasn't shown me any affection in at least two weeks, so I was very happy. This morning I'd told the girls that if they were good all day I'd teach them how to bake cookies so they had something to look forward to. It went great and we all had a wonderful time.

Our first cookie baking experience even had some adventure. I'd accidently left a plastic bag of rolled oats in the oven when I preheated it. Blossom said, "Look, fire." I glanced at the oven and saw that the coils were red and said, "Yes, that's what makes the oven hot." Then something sort of registered with me and I looked again and saw a pile of white stuff on the bottom of the oven. I opened the door and realized immediately that it was the oats and that the bag had melted and they fell to the bottom of the oven. Letting the air into the oven provided oxygen and a tiny flame started, so I closed the oven again and smothered it. The oven cooled down quickly, then I just took my Dyson vaccume and sucked up all the oats and the plastic bag didn't stick to anything so it was an easy clean-up, with very little fumes because the oats had soaked up the melted plastic.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence that I taught my two older girls their first fire safety lesson last week so that they knew the word for fire. I also keep fire extinguishers in my upstairs and downstairs kitchens and had the girls positioned, without their knowledge, for evacuation, if needed.

After the first batch of cookies was in the oven, I told my girls that they have a very interesting story to tell of the first time mama taught them how to bake cookies and started a fire in the oven!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 months ago Blossom left her orphanage and started the biggest adventure of her life. She looks very good, K. I know she struggles and I know you are tired, but she looks really, really good. We are cheering you and Blossom on.

gail said...

Love these pictures. What a difference in Sissy and Blossom! Jie Jie is beautiful and sweet as always, Sissy has changed so much and is getting prettier everyday, and Blossom is actually smiling and with her eyes too.

I love watching them blossom right before our eyes. You are an awesome momma and I am glad you are taking care of you too. Parenting hurt teens is hard work.

Donna said...

Yeah for smiles!!

doreen said...

So cute! So happy! Good job Mom!!

Anonymous said...

Come to think of it, K. These are the first photos where Blossom is smiling at the camera. We had pictures of her from the orphanage where she was smiling, but once we received her in China and even once she got here, she wouldn't smile for the camera. This is progress. It's slow, but it's progress.