Saturday, October 27, 2012
We had a very good day today! It's been awhile, so we were all very happy, as you can see by my girls' smiles. Blossom even leaned on me and laid her head against me. She hasn't shown me any affection in at least two weeks, so I was very happy. This morning I'd told the girls that if they were good all day I'd teach them how to bake cookies so they had something to look forward to. It went great and we all had a wonderful time.
Our first cookie baking experience even had some adventure. I'd accidently left a plastic bag of rolled oats in the oven when I preheated it. Blossom said, "Look, fire." I glanced at the oven and saw that the coils were red and said, "Yes, that's what makes the oven hot." Then something sort of registered with me and I looked again and saw a pile of white stuff on the bottom of the oven. I opened the door and realized immediately that it was the oats and that the bag had melted and they fell to the bottom of the oven. Letting the air into the oven provided oxygen and a tiny flame started, so I closed the oven again and smothered it. The oven cooled down quickly, then I just took my Dyson vaccume and sucked up all the oats and the plastic bag didn't stick to anything so it was an easy clean-up, with very little fumes because the oats had soaked up the melted plastic.
I'm sure it's not a coincidence that I taught my two older girls their first fire safety lesson last week so that they knew the word for fire. I also keep fire extinguishers in my upstairs and downstairs kitchens and had the girls positioned, without their knowledge, for evacuation, if needed.
After the first batch of cookies was in the oven, I told my girls that they have a very interesting story to tell of the first time mama taught them how to bake cookies and started a fire in the oven!