Saturday, October 27, 2012

Mom's Night Out


For the first time since becoming a mother 18 months ago, I hired a babysitter and went to see a movie! I missed having my little one with me, since she's always just come and slept in her stroller while wearing earplugs, but I did not miss my older two daughters. My babysitter was my daycare assistant and she crept in after the kids were in bed and nearly, but not completely asleep. Now, like most mothers, I am doing things I thought I'd never do, but it's because I'm parenting kids I never thought I'd have - teens raised in an orphanage.

So, I did not tell them I was going out. I know they would not have been able to handle the anxiety of that and would not have fallen asleep. If they had awaken, they are very familiar with my assistant and would have obeyed without anxiety because they were "in the moment" vs. anticipating my leaving.

I met a friend at the theater who is also a single mom, and I even walked to the theater, which I'd normally have done anyway, but realized I needed to do so the car wouldn't alert the children to my leaving. My friend drove me home and stayed awhile, looking online with me a properties outside of California as we dreamed of making our escape to a more wholesome and affordable area.

When I looked at myself in the mirror this morning, I swear I looked younger! I guess even two hours of real respite time makes a huge difference, plus, I slept well, too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine anyone who deserves it more! I'm glad you enjoyed your night out.

Amy said...

Good for you!! You NEED to refuel. I am learning so much from you blog as you bring up these girls of yours. You seem like your doing such an amazing job.

Amy

bridget said...

that is wonderful! I'm glad you enjoyed your time out!