Monday, November 5, 2012

They Turn On a Dime


We've been experiencing some very hard days lately. What I discovered today, once again, is that for every hard day, my daughters take a step forward, sometimes even a leap.

After a severely trying day for me with my two oldest daughters, Jie Jie snuggled right up to me when I laid down on the floor to rest my back and started stretching my toes. This might sound strange, but back in the days when I had to vigorously stretch her little feet each night, she'd take a turn stretching mine, sort of revenge, perhaps, though I always let her know how good it felt even though stretching her feet at first was very painful for her.

After she was finished stretching my toes tonight, I started tickling her and nibbling her little calves and doing the fun games that mothers do with their little ones. My Blossom, who's been extremely difficult lately, burst into tears and tried to hide herself in the corner of the room. I was heartbroken, but relieved, because it meant that one more layer ripped open and the desire for the same kind of motherly attention and love was written in very fiber of her little being. So, she got a turn, too. She's new at it, though, and couldn't stand too much touching, but I was able to play with her feet, nibble her calves, write the letters of her name on her back and rub it a little bit, lightly tickle her arms and even tickle her neck a little, which is her most sensitive spot.

It amazed me that, after such a day of hardship with my oldest girls, that the day could end so positively. And, Blossom also asked me to carry her to bed, rock-a-bye-baby-style, which I did!

As the material carnage continues, headway is being made on the emotional carnage and healing is happening, even though it means that the wounds have to be exposed first.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on Blossom. Let love in.

franseym said...

You are such a good Mama. Keeping you and the girls in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Huge progress! It may come in small doses but the sunshine is peeking in through the dark, gray clouds.

Sherri said...

Perspective...it's oh, so wonderful that you still have it. I see a beautiful ending to this story....

Chrissy said...

What a blessing to see a sensitive little girl starting to emerge.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bridget said...

yay! how wonderful :)