Saturday, December 22, 2012

Sisterly Love


Tonight at the mall, a vendor gave each of my three girls candy canes. Blossom's broke almost immediately and the plastic wrapping stuck to it so tenaciously that she couldn't get it off to eat it so I threw it away, which broke her heart. She was so sad. In the car, completely on her own, Jie Jie gave Blossom her candy cane.

I am so proud of my little Jie Jie. Her heart is so big. Blossom felt loved. It set such a good example for Sissy and gave us something to talk about tonight at tuck-in time. And Jie Jie felt happy to have comforted her sister.

The question I asked Sissy tonight was, "Why did Jie Jie give Blossom her candy cane." Her answer, "Because Blossom was sad." My reponse, "Yes, that's part of it, but why did Jie Jie give Blossom her candy cane when Blossom was sad? Would you have given up your candy cane?" Sissy said she would not have given up her candy cane and she did not know why Jie Jie would give up her's. When I said, "Because Jie Jie loves Blossom," I could see how little she understand that. I think she also looked like it was a big piece of evidence to demonstrate what love is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at your strength and patience through this challenging time. I know from my own experience that before you actually adopt but have begun the path in that direction it is easy to dream about how life will be once the child is at home. You have one daughter doing remarkably well despite her physical challenges. You have another daughter who is dealing with her challenges in an appropriate way. But then you have one child who you cannot truly know her future. It is hard not to compare when all three children are adopted from similar backgrounds. It is amazing to me to see how much work you are willing to put in to make your family situation work. With it being the Holidays my hope for you is peace. I hope your children give you some feedback of appreciation. I hope you have love and kindness in your home. I wish you joy. And lastly, I wish you lasting happiness.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing the difference between your girls when one was loved and cherished and two were not? It just goes to show how important those formative early years are.

You must be so proud of Jie Jie. She is a joy.