Monday, June 17, 2013

Apple's Family Day!



Before.


Waiting.


Meeting Apple.


First bottle.


Asleep.

Apple is doing very well. She did extremely well at the Civil Affairs Office, no crying and came right to me. My first impressions are that she loves to be held and has been held a lot! She's smart, has a sense of humor, is easy-going, but knows her own mind and will communicate as needed. She's only cried three times. The first time was in Walmart on the way home from the Civil Affairs office when we were getting formula. It was barely a cry, just a noise to let me know she needed me. The second was the same, just letting me know she was finished swimming. The third was a full-blown cry after swimming to let me know she finally had enough of everything from the long day. A bottle and my arms and to go to sleep were all she needed to feel better.

After arriving at the Civil Affairs office, we waited a long, long time. We had a big incident during this wait when my guide started talking to Sissy about her birth parents and visiting her orphanage. I didn't catch it in time, as he spoke in Chinese, and Sissy was so upset I had to take her to another room and hold her and comfort her for a long time while she cried and cried. You better believe I didn't pull any punches with my guide but let him have it BIG TIME. He understood right away that he'd made a huge mistake bringing up these most sensitive topics so casually during such a vulnerable time as sitting in a Civil Affairs office a mere 11 months after Sissy's own adoption. He was truly sorry. I made it clear to him that the subject of birth parents and visiting ones' orphanage was strictly a family matter and that he must never do this again with any child. Ever!

Apple was brought by a man from her SWI via public transportation and a taxi. She was hot and sleepy; it was around noon and she hadn't had anything but water since before 7am. She came to me without crying, but was looking all around. She's tall and solid and heavy (8kg on the bathroom scale). She's sits up well, good core strength. I have not seen her crawl yet and she cannot walk or stand unassisted. She drinks very well from a bottle and eats well from a spoon. She has 4 teeth all the way in and three more about to break through on top. She plays games with her tongue, imitating me and initiating the game herself. She's pretty funny and I can't wait until I get to know her well and see her full sense of humor.

We did go directly to Walmart from the Civil Affairs office so I could get her formula and baby food. A miracle happened! Right there in Walmart, two young women recognized Apple and were thrilled to see her. They were nurses who brought children up from the orphanage to the hospital for treatment and surgery. They'd brought some children up today then went shopping. I was able to find out when and what surgery Apple has had! Then she fell asleep on the way back to the hotel. She stayed asleep, which gave me time to prepare a bottle for her and some food. I did wake her up to eat since she really needed the hydration. She was glad. She had a dry diaper for a long time so I held her on the potty and made psss sounds and she peed. Clever girl!

After a late lunch, we went to the bank to get the "big money" for tomorrow, then went swimming. Yes, I did take her swimming right away. It was sooooo hot. I introduced her to the water very slowly and she was relaxed and seemed to like it. I'll post pictures of this later.

A bath afterward, dinner in the room for Apple, then dinner for us in the hotel downstairs while Apple slept in Jie Jie's stroller, and we all called it a night!

I am one happy mama!

10 comments:

Chrissy said...

Welcome sweet girl! Lots of people have waited a long time for this day. The picture of the two of you and the bottle is precious...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Sarah said...

LOVE HER ALREADY!!!!

Jennifer N. said...

So excited to see you finally reach this point of your journey ... one you've been waiting for for years. I'm sure you couldn't have imagined all of the side trips you were blessed to take along the way. Prayers for you and your amazing family.

kimjax said...

BEAUTIFUL pic of you and Apple - you should frame it!! So happy for you, friend!! She's precious and so are your other 3 girls. You have a beautiful family!

Gille said...

I can't believe I almost missed seeing this! Your family together! I have enjoyed seeing your family grow as it has. This post is just adding to my joy for you. So happy!

bella said...

Apple is beautiful and a perfect addition to your lovely family. You all look so joyfully happy and Especially the Mama! Congratulations to you all. bella

Vickie said...

Whooo hoooo she's so sweet, she fits right in:) Congrats from all of us.

Carrie said...

Congratulations! God is sooooo good!

Lisa~~ said...

Big congrats, such a little sweetie.