Friday, November 22, 2013

We Barely Survived the Night


The night got worse right after I posted last night. It turns out that Apple had one of those opposite reactions to the pain medications and she was ramped up like a locomotive on full throttle. She bucked, arched, kicked, screamed, writhed, and more until about 4am this morning. I could see she was clearing having some kind of delusions that were scaring her. Around 2am the nurses came in wanting to give her Ativan, but I refused. It could have put her into orbit. There was no way I was going to risk a bigger reaction than what was already going on.

I took her out of the crib and put her in the big stroller beside me where she was safely buckled down without any bars to kick. Slowly, ever so slowly, the moments of relaxation got longer and longer and by about 9am this morning my baby was back! All day today, the nurses from last time and this time have been stopping in to see her as her real self again. She's a charmer and everyone loves her.

At rounds this morning we all discussed options for her further surgeries so that this can be avoided, if possible, but there are no guarantees.

2 comments:

goodiego said...

I believe it is called a paradoxical effect(?) when the complete opposite happens in response to a drug. It happens to my daughter. She cannot take any antihistamine. A few pain meds and anti anxity meds also ramp her up completely and she can become freakishly strong in her thrashings. That combined with the medical trauma in her past made it very hard to predict her reaction all the time.

Blessings to Little Apple, poor dear. I hope the love and consistency in your care for her help her get through this.

Blessings!


Anonymous said...

Just letting you know that Apple and your family are in our prayers. Keep up your strength - your family needs you. You are an amazing Mom.