Wednesday, June 11, 2014

No More Distractors!


The surgery went well! The emergence from anesthesia also went well! My older girls behaved fantastically! I am so proud of them!!!

I haven't seen the incision yet, but I was told that the surgeon did not open Apple's head from ear to ear, as he'd planned, but opened the scalp over each distractor. He was also impressed with my ponytail work. He said he didn't shave her, but I'll not believe it until I see it for myself. He excised the MRSA wound and said that the scalp came together very well. I am looking forward to having a baby without holes in her head!


We got up at 5am, had breakfast and got ready then woke up the baby, popped her into her stroller and went next door to the hospital.


I ponied up Apple's hair along the incision line and everywhere else in order to avoid having her head shaved again. The surgeons were VERY impressed!



For the first time, I beat Apple into the recovery room. I loved that the entire team was very eager to avoid emergence reaction and any other negative reaction and they really worked with me. Except the anesthesiologist, who tried to put the IV in the vein I explicitly told her not to and, of course, it blew.


I was ready with a bottle of electrolyte solution immediately and Apple drank 8 ounces before getting into the PICU and another 4 or 8 ounces once she got up there.


When Apple started to get upset, I popped her into the wagon and started cruising the unit. She settled right down!



Exactly 6h 5m after her surgery, I noticed Apple's face turning red. In another few minutes, she started to swell up. After 10 minutes I was yelling for the nurse to get some Benadryl STAT! It took a total of 35 minutes from the onset to get the Benadryl into the IV and by then the doctor on call had me hook Apple's monitors back on and had epinephrine standing by in case the Benadryl didn't stop the reaction. Luckily, it did and the redness and swelling abated and it looks like Apple got by with only one lasting hive. She gets so many drugs during the surgery that we can't figure out which one or ones she is allergic to.


My little Smurfette!



By 7pm Apple was steady on her feet, though I was still cautious about letting her walk.


She ate and ate and ate and I learned that the steroid she's given in the operating room to reduce swelling also caused extreme hunger and wild behavior.


Now sleeping off and on, sometimes in the crib and sometimes in the wagon. She's only had acetaminophen since the surgery and one dose of Benadryl. She's doing very well with comfort/pain levels and avoiding narcotics seems to have helped her a lot.

6 comments:

Shecki Grtlyblesd said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Scary that they don't know what she's reacting to.

Catherine said...

Apple is blessed to have you for her Mommy!!! Her number 1 advocate!! Praying she heals quickly. The changes in the shape if her face and head are amazing and wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

I recently had a reaction to a medicine during surgery so on the following surgery a couple of months later they eliminated the most likely one. The post surgery nurse suggested comparing the 16+ meds used during the surgery to the original list. Then if there were differences it might narrow the possible list of drugs and possibly confirm the actual medicine I reacted to.

Anonymous said...

35 minutes to get Benadryl into the vein of a post-op toddler, with a history of drug reactions, in PICU? Do these people WANT to get sued?? That's just mind-boggling.

K said...

Would you believe that at the 30 minute mark, when I was starting to raise my voice when asking where the Benadryl was, they actually asked me if I wanted to wait for the oral version, which was being sent up from the pharmacy, or if I wanted the IV formula which they already had? I'm sure I was looking at them like they were maniacs by then and said, "We're out of time, get the IV stuff! Why didn't you get it right away first?"

The Redhead said...

So glad the surgery went well. And I love her little smurfette do ;)
Like the others, glad you were there and knew what to do!