Tuesday, June 3, 2014

One Healthy Cat



Taken last week when he was about 6.5 pounds.


Taken in April when he was 4 pounds.

Henry is HEALTHY! He weighs a whopping 7 pounds 3 ounces and he's still gaining. He runs, he plays, he cuddles, he's spunky, he's off all antibiotics for the first time since March. When my vet last saw him 4 weeks ago, he was barely 5 pounds. When I pulled him out of the carrier today, her eyes bugged out of her head and she couldn't believe it. She was very, very pleased as well as amazed. He's still gaining muscle tone and endurance and I still give him sub-Q fluids about every three days since it's super hot here, but other than that, he's on his regular Reglan and no other meds. My fireman friend has been watching Henry recover with great interest since he suggested that "perhaps" I ought to put him down. He said he's glad he was wrong. I admitted that Henry did look pretty dead at one point and my friend said, "He looked like he'd been dead for three days."

If you open these images in their own window by right clicking, you can enlarge them and see them more clearly. I wish the jpg format made them look like they do on the viewer because it still looks like he's got cloudy lungs, but the doesn't. Not at all.


April 10th severe pneumonia and very skinny.


Today, totally clear lungs!
The x-rays in jpg format do make his lungs still look cloudy, but they are actually totally clear when viewed through regularly.


That long cloudy tube thing running horizontally in his chest is Henry's mega-sized esophagus and the little narrow tube bowing down below it is his trachea.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that Henry is recovering so well! Since he is a tiny cat already, he did not have much to lose. What is his "healthy" weight?

K said...

I asked the vet the same thing and she didn't know either. Since he's never been heavier than the low 7 pound range and still looks a little thin, no one knows what his ideal weight should be. Now that I've finally discovered how to plump him up, I'm going to continue to feed him on the current regime until his hips fill out and he looks like my other cats. Then I'll finally know what he should weigh with his petite frame.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan! I feed my cats a mixture of high quality raw wet food and homemade raw (Catinfo.org) depending on my work schedule. They both hover around 9 pounds, but their frame is much larger than Henry's.

A huge side benefit of the raw diet is that my cats self-regulate their weight. They know I will pickup any remaining food after 30 minutes.

K said...

I feed my cats raw food, too! catnutrition.org is where I got my recipe. Henry would have died without this food. Commercial food isn't dense enough in calories to keep him alive. His stomach cannot hold the amount it would take for him to get enough in a day. Because of his oral aversion, it took two years for me to get him completely onto the raw and once he did fully switch, he gained beyond my expectation.

Simple Relationships said...

It's so good to see that your cat's health has improved a lot. I hope that you could share more pictures, he's beautiful!