Wednesday, October 29, 2014

More on School


The issues that led me to look into public schools were behavioral on the part of two of the girls and what I thought was a lack of progress academically. However, since beginning our homeschooling year in earnest, the girls have started progressing again and I can see that the stall had more to do with our move than anything else. Same with the behavior.

Our home is in a great neighborhood, but our school boundary crosses into a very rough part of town. I do fear public schools here because they are filled with children from very low income families, which means uneducated parents. The schools are overwhelmed trying to teach the children to behave, speak English, and develop a desire to learn. The parents don't participate because they often don't speak English or don't have the education themselves. Gangs are a HUGE problem here, too. The high school has a city police department in it and the middle school has a full-time security staff with huge beefy, thick-necked guards who look like bad guys out of a James Bond movie.

The private school the girls attended part time last year is excellent, but private school is very expensive! I'm hoping it's an option next fall for us.

I have made the decision to continue to homeschool for this year. At the same time, I need to find ways to meet the social needs of my children. We attend church and church-related activities each week, we go to community events, we take every opportunity we can to go out to dinner with other families or meet for play-dates, but it's pretty rare since people have busy lives. It will become less rare the more people we get to know.

I am curious to know what level of socialization homeschooling families find appropriate for your kids, especially your kids from China who were adopted at an older age. As I told My Firefighter this morning, I am very intelligent, always an honor student, but if you put me into an MIT advanced math class, I'd be completely lost and overwhelmed. Putting Jie Jie into a 5th grade class, especially with her processing disorder, which is clearly visible to anyone talking to her, where she will receive no help other than orthopedic in the form of a padded chair and footstool and 30 minutes of math support (at first) per day, while she is working at 1st grade level in math, early 2nd in grammar, and reading somewhere between 1st and possible 4th grade, is ridiculous! It's setting her up for failure and I will not do that to her.

1 comment:

Bridget Cole said...

My husband has been a high school teacher in our local high school for 32 years. After the evaluation done on our daughter, we refused all services and are continuing with homeschooling.

The schools just have not figured out international adoption, trauma, delays, etc.

It would have been devastating to our daughter. I had the same thought as you.....this is a joke!!!

We are in Ohio. Our schools are all white, maybe a token black student, no Asians. :/

They actually told me they'd never worked with an international adoption. It was so discouraging.